Have you ever had this feeling where you’re craving something indulgent but still want to be healthy? Boy do I have the recipe for you! An Apple and Pear Salad with Chocolate Dressing! can you believe we are going to make a salad with chocolate dressing!?. Yes you read that correctly. Let’s mix our salad up a little bit this month.
Need a little more convincing to drizzle chocolate sauce over your fresh greens? Check out these awesome benefits that a little dark chocolate can offer you.
- Boosts Brain Power: Eating a square or two of dark chocolate boost blood flow to key areas of the brain, and you can reap the benefits for at least 2 – 3 hours after consuming a piece. (Women’s Health)
- Reduces Stress: Not only does chocolate create endorphins, giving you the pleasant feeling of happiness and satisfaction, it can also give you a great sense of calm. It reduces stress hormones, which in turn helps reduce the amount of collagen being broken down. As a result of the diminishing in collagen, your skin is better protected from creating wrinkles. (YouBeauty.com)
- Offers Sun Protection: Key compounds found in dark chocolate, including flavonols, can help create a stronger density, as well as hydrate, the skin. The denser and more hydrated the skin is, it is better protected from the sun’s harmful rays. (Authority Nutrition)
- “Bar of Youth”: Chocolate is filled with antioxidants, helping to slow the aging process and aids in preventing certain types of cancers. (FitDay.com)
Ok, so now let’s get down to the fun stuff, the recipe! This salad is super easy to make, and should only take approximately 10 minutes to prepare, at the most. Let’s get started!
What You’ll Need:
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Pear
- 2 cups of spinach and arugula salad mix
- 2 diced strawberries
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2 oz. melted dark chocolate
What to Do:
- Wash the spinach and arugula salad mixture and place in a salad bowl.
- Slice the apple and pear to desired size. Place in salad bowl.
- Next, add in strawberries.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the oil, vinegar and melted chocolate. Before drizzling overtop your salad, taste test the concoction to see if it has reached your desired sweetness. If not, add in a little bit more chocolate.
- Enjoy! (Recommended: This salad is best enjoyed with a glass (or two) of red wine.)