I’m a sucker for a great pasta dish, and this recipe really hit the spot the other night.
It’s super easy to make, and takes about 10 minutes of prep and then 30 minutes of baking in the oven. So it doesn’t take too long from start to finish.
Let’s breakdown the recipe.
Chicken Parmesan and Pasta Casserole Dish
- ! 14 oz box of pasta (any pasta of your choosing)
- A Jar of Spaghetti Sauce ( I chose Bertolli’s Mushroom red sauce)
- 1 1/2 Cups of chopped Mushrooms
- 2 cups of Shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup of onions
- 1 8 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 pound of chicken
- 1 tbls of basil
- 1/2 tbls of oregano
- 2 tbls of minced garlic
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
And now for the steps of how to make this dish!
- First we are going to chop up the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Next, pour the olive oil into the saute pan and then dump chicken pieces into the pan. Brown the chicken.
- While chicken is browning, chop up the onions and cook the pasta.
- Next we are going to add in the mushrooms with the chicken, along with the onions. Saute for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Next add in minced garlic, basil and oregano. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add in the diced tomatoes and the sauce. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add in shredded Parmesan. Cook until cheese has melted thoroughly.
- Mix pasta and chicken mixture together.
- Next transfer mixture into a casserole dish. And bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
So you may be wondering why I called this dish healthy. Well I want to break down some benefits of eating chicken, Parmesan and pasta. Here it goes.
Benefits of Eating Chicken:
- High in lean, low fat protein. The protein in chicken lends itself to muscle growth and development, and helps support a healthy body weight and aids in weight loss.
- I didn’t know this fact until I started writing this post. Chicken is a natural anti-depressant. (Who knew!?) It is high in an amino acid called tryptophan, which gives you a comforting feeling. It also increases the serotonin levels in your brain to enhance your mood and blast away stress.
- Great for Heart Health: Homocysteine is an amino acid that can cause cardiovascular disease, by eating chicken this amino acid levels is lowered.
- Rich in phospohorus, a mineral that supports bone health and also aids in central nervous system function.
Benefits of Eating Parmesan:
- Packed with protein which helps you feel fuller faster. And it also aids in muscle growth.
- It is a calcium rich food. Calcium helps maintain proper bone health.
- Rich in Vitamin A: Vitamin A aids in good vision, healthy skin, teeth and body tissue.
- Sources: http://www.livestrong.com/article/335845-the-benefits-of-parmesan-cheese/
Benefits of Eating Pasta:
- Rich in Vitamin A: Promotes vision health.
- Skin Health: Promotes growth of new skin cells.
- Rich in Folic Acid: Folic acid promotes healthy hair growth, and it also helps reduce acne and breakouts on the skin.
- Muscle Health: Eating pasta on a regular basis helpts to prevent muscle stiffness in the body.
Now that we’ve gone over the benefits of these three key ingredients, feel free to whip up a large serving of this pasta dish. Enjoy!